DON'T NAME THEM.
It's Simple But Effective.
What You Do Matters.™
• Encourage law enforcement and other agencies/organizations to sign on.
• Have individuals sign petitions encouraging media outlets to move their focus from the shooters to the victims and the heroes.
• Have a general media announcement to get the word out.
• Develop a message that anyone can send to the media in the wake of a shooting.
• Develop letters to the editor and other materials that can be sent to media outlets by individuals.
Don't Name Them.
• Some shooters are motivated by a desire for fame, notoriety, and/or recognition.
• When the media focuses on the shooter, they provide this fame, notoriety and recognition.
• This focus allows the shooter to accomplish one of his goals, and validates his life and actions.
• Media coverage can create a contagion effect producing more shootings.
• Some shootings may be prevented by removing one of the incentives.
• We encourage the media and others not to name the shooters or focus on their lives.
• The shooters should be as unrecognized in their deaths as they were in their lives.
• Media coverage should focus on the victims and the heroes.